Monday, January 7, 2008

... in this little plant....

We retrieved all our houseplants from Iowa over Thanksgiving break. I was so happy to have them back because I feel like a house isn't a home unless you have green plants here-&-there. :)

On the way back to Texas we encountered snow as far south as the KS-OK border... that means there was a hard frost which is NOT GOOD for houseplants. Every plant (except 1) was brown & wilty when we got home. I was sooooo sad. They looked hopeless.

But I didn't give up. I trimmed them all down & put them in the sunlight. I gave them plant food. I rotate the pots & check on each plant almost daily.

A few weeks ago I started to see a response!! The leaves are growing back & they are looking GREEN again! Yay! This particular plant had no leaves & only straggly vines (that's how they all looked)... but look at it now!
I am much like these plants. Their ability to sustain & keep growing correlate to my feelings about our family's relocation to Texas.

Until recently, I felt our purpose here in Texas was hopeless. We arrived here with many dreams (the business, Scott's health, a new house, a job...) and as many of you know almost all of them seem to be dying or wilting away.

But with patience & prayer (lots & lots of prayer) I am starting to feel 'green' again. I see that God promises regrowth.... see? In this picture? And in my heart... I feel a change in attitude.

Nope, things don't look like they 'did' and maybe they never will. Perhaps the 'dreams' of a new house & a new business will need to be trimmed away from our life to allow regrowth. All I know is that I am happy to be alive! God has put me here for a reason, praise to God for whatever it is!

God has shown me, in this little plant, that I am alive & have so much to be thankful for.

Found in Matthew 6:25 - 27
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?

No comments: