Sunday, August 12, 2007

New things in Texas

I'm dealing with some 'different' things at this house, not necessarily wrong... just different.

First of all: The toilets have the handle on the WRONG side of the tank. I don't know if the rest of my family is having an issue with this, but I am constantly reaching to flush the toilet & the handle is not there. I hope the new house is normal.

The washer & dryer is in the garage. Which we are learning is pretty normal for this neighborhood because most people don't use their garages for cars, they're mostly an extra really large storage room. Right now it's hotter than crap in the garage so I don't do much laundry during the day, I do a load in the morning & finish it in the evening. So it takes me ALL DAY to do one load. :(

The mail box is located at the end of our street. I should have remembered that because it was this way when we lived in Texas before. Anyways, you have to find the key before walking down the street because it sucks getting all the way down the street in 100 degree sun only to realize you forgot the key.... Madison...
All the floors (except for my bedroom) are ceramic tile. I typically like carpet but it's so hot here that the tile actually feels good. We laid down our 9'x9' oriental rug in the middle of the living room so it feels a little bit like home. It completely clashes with the decor of this rental house, but who cares, it's only for a couple of months. Check out the beautiful texas star the landlord laid into the tile, isn't it cool? It matches the door.... Texans are very proud of the star.
Our rental house has a 'great room' for the kitchen/dining room/living room. This is neat, however, I am not too thrilled with having people watching TV CONSTANTLY. I feel like I can't get away from it. I know none of the men reading this will understand, but women: Don't you hate it when you're talking & everyone in the room is looking over your shoulder at what's on the TV? And it not even important! It's like... MTV or SciFi channel or ESPN or something! This is driving me crazy! I didn't take a picture of it because I'm too mad that they're all ignoring me. :)

1 comment:

THE BROWN BOYS said...

Ok. The toilet handle on the other side: that is just WRONG, and it's OK to call it that!! You'll just be starting to get used to it, then you'll move and have to go through another handle transitional readjustment! (that's the technical term.) Maybe the reason it doesn't seem to bother anyone else as much as you is because you're the only one who flushes?! Just kidding, Scott! The other things: livable, although I'd be a little concerned about encountering one of those Texas creatures when I go out to do laundry.